Crowns restore, preserve functionality and improve the appearance of your teeth. Crowns are commonly known as caps because they sit on top of a prepared tooth.
The type of Crown we use are Ceramic Crowns which provide the ultimate combination of aesthetics and strength, giving you a natural looking and long-lasting restoration. They are made entirely from a hard, tooth-coloured porcelain material using the latest techniques and technology.
Why might I need a crown?
- If your tooth is decaying and there is not enough structure left to support a filling
- If your tooth has been fractured beyond repair and composite bonding will not work
- If you have a large cavity and need additional protection
- As part of a dental implant treatment
- As part of a root canal treatment
- If your teeth have eroded, you may need a Crown
- As part of a Bridge treatment.
If your tooth is chipped, damaged, discoloured etc but is still strong, Veneers may be a more appropriate option as they are less invasive/destructive to the tooth than a Crown.
Composite bonding can also be used to rebuild cracked or chipped teeth. Composite is a sturdy tooth coloured material used for white fillings that a dentist can manipulate into cracks or chips to improve the appearance of teeth.
It depends on how well you look after them. Crowns will require the same amount of hygiene care and attention as your natural teeth.